If you’re interested in reading, please contact Peg Alford Pursell at whytherearewords at gmail dot com. And don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter announcing upcoming readings each month. (We never share your email with anyone!)
Writers who are just starting out are granted reading slots through a submission process.
1. Original fiction – please send a single file containing all submitted materials, including your bio.
2. No more than 7 minutes total reading time, which equates to 3-3.5 pages of double-spaced prose, 12 pt. text.
3. Include your name, phone number, and e-mail within the body of your email.
4. Please send all submissions via e-mail to Peg Alford Pursell at whytherearewords at gmail dot com.
– As of 2013, select poets will read poetry on a quarterly basis along with prose readers. The number of openings is very limited. To be
– Previous readers can submit work again after the anniversary of their last reading has passed – so one year from when you last read. WTAW reserves the right to privilege first-time readers.
– The series tends to be booked out far in advance.
– All readers are encouraged to bring books, chapbooks, and broadsides for sale during the break and after the reading.